How to Remove Red Wine Stains from Your Carpet
Posted on Friday 14 February 2020
If you love red wine, you’ll probably have been in the position of battling a red wine spillage at some point in your life. Whether the stain is on the carpet, the upholstery or on your clothes, the longer it is left, the harder it becomes to remove.
Having innocent get-togethers with friends, can also be a time when rogue red wine stains get found on your beloved carpet. A professional carpet cleaner will easily be able to remove dark stains, but how do you remove them yourself? The best time to tackle a red wine stain is immediately after its created.
DIY Method to Remove Red Wine from Your Coloured Carpet
If you cannot attend to the stain immediately, at least blot it with paper towels and sprinkle salt on it. For a stain that has been left overnight, saturate it with hot water and apply a carpet stain remover or pre-treatment spot remover. Here is what you need to do if you plan on tackling the stain immediately;
- Blot the stain with a clean white cloth or paper towels.
- Pour cool water over the red wine stain and keep blotting. Use minimal water and keep alternating with a new, dry cloth to blot with.
- Mix baking soda with water at a 3-1 ratio. When the mixture becomes a paste, apply it immediately to the stain. Allow it to dry and then vacuum it up.
- Apply a carpet stain remover if any stain remains.
What to Do If Your Red Wine Stain Is on a White Carpet
If you have a red wine stain on a white carpet, this can be tough to remove. But, because a white carpet does not have any dyes, you can use a bleach solution. Make sure you test this stain removal technique on a hidden part of the carpet first, to determine the end result.
- Make a stain cleaning solution from two parts hydrogen peroxide and one-part clear dishwashing liquid.
- Sponge blot the solution onto the stain and leave for several minutes.
- Blot with a clean, dry cloth or paper towels.
- Dab with a sponge soaked with clean water to remove any soapy residue.
- If parts of the stain still remain, repeat the process. If the stain has gone, leave the spot to dry.
Call Professional Carpet Cleaners in If You Cannot Beat the Red Wine Stain
Steam carpet cleaning in Adelaide provided by experts, will remove dark and in-ground stubborn stains. Using state of the art cleaning equipment and strong cleaning solutions, pro carpet cleaners will be able to return your carpets to their former glory. Call in That Carpet Guy for red wine stain removal and an extensive selection of cleaning services for carpets and tiled floors.